BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents.
Create and Update
- BetterZip can create archives with these formats: ZIP, TAR, TGZ, TBZ, TXZ, 7-ZIP, XAR, and — using the external commandline utility — RAR.
- Add files to or delete files from archives. Move and rename files inside archives.
- Compatibility: Have BetterZip remove Mac specific files from archives for archives that look and behave well on Windows.
- Edit archived files in an external application and BetterZip can update your archive.
Open and Extract
- BetterZip can currently open and extract over 30 archive formats including: ZIP, TAR, TGZ, TBZ, TXZ, 7-ZIP, RAR, Apple Disk Images (DMG), TNEF (winmail.dat), ARJ, LHA, LZH, ISO, CHM, CAB, CPIO/CPGZ, DEB, RPM, StuffIt’s SIT and SITX, BinHex, MacBinary, ePub, JAR/WAR/EAR/SAR/PAR/WSR Java archives, CBZ/CBR e-books, GZip, BZip2, WIM.
- BetterZip can also join split files with enumerated file extensions 001, 002, …
- Open and extract winmail.dat files.
- Open, extract, and quick look Apple disk images (dmg files).
- Open, extract, and modify ePub files. BetterZip is not a replacement for a real ePub editor, but since ePub files are really just special zip files, why not use BetterZip to peek into or even modify them.
- Extract images and sounds from PDF or Flash files.
Preview or Quick Look files inside your archives without extracting first.
Protect Your Data
- Protect your data with strong AES-256 encryption. Never email sensitive files unencrypted or upload them to cloud services without protection.
- BetterZip’s password manager can collect a list of archive passwords in your keychain and use them automatically whenever you open an encrypted archive.
- BetterZip features a password generator similar to Safari’s. Let BetterZip suggest strong passwords whenever needed.
- BetterZip allows you to add configurable services to macOS’ Services menu.
- The new Finder extension puts all your presets in the Finder’s toolbar. Select some files in Finder, click the BetterZip button and choose one of your presets from the drop-down menu to create an archive with these files. Of course, you can also invoke any of your extraction presets on selected archives.
BetterZip allows you to create presets for creating and extracting archives. Presets collect all settings that can be applied to an archive, from the destination folder and archive format, to passwords and even a script to execute after the operation completed.
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later 64-bit